Historical background of Pyramids
Egypt has a rich history and the ancient old pyramids are the biggest historical breakthrough in Egypt that dates back from 3000 BC-2300 BC. The Egyptian Pyramids are built for tombs of Pharaohs and their families. Over 130 of the pyramids were discovered in Egypt so far. The pyramids are built of hard limestone and large blocks of limestone especially on the exterior. The Great Pyramid of Giza is one of the wonders of the world. The early Egyptian kings were buried in mounds called mastabas that are bench like structures and the first pyramid ever built was for King Djoser.
Why visit Giza Pyramids
Egypt in general offers many things to the tourists.
- The main attractions are the Pyramids. The Giza Plateau known as Khufu’s pyramid is an incredible sight.
- There are also the Great Sphinx and Solar Boat Museum in the region that catches the attention of the tourists.
- One can also experience the camel rides in the wide deserts.
- There are also the pyramids of Abu Sir that is a part of the 5th dynasty necropolis. It includes amazing artworks and engravings. The Maidum Pyramid is the eight layered structure that have a new arch shaped wall but nowadays only the highest three levels of the pyramid can be seen. The Saqqara Step pyramid is said to be the oldest monumental structure ever made for the 3rd dynasty of King Djoser.
It contains the hieroglyphics, the doors of the Cats and the blue tiles of the tomb of Djoser’s. The Saqqara Step Pyramid can be visited easily from Cairo. The Red Pyramid of Dahshur offers grave silence to the tourists and it is said that if one is not comfortable in enclosed places then they should not get inside this monument.
- Apart from the pyramids, there are various temples, museums, adventure trips etc.
What not to miss in Egypt
The Pyramids of Egypt are breathtaking architectural monuments ever created by man. The Great Pyramid of Giza represents one of the Seven Wonders of the World and is the world’s oldest tourist attraction.
There are many pyramids in Giza but three main pyramids mesmerize the visitors- the Great Pyramid of Khufu, the Pyramid of Kafhre and the Pyramid of Menkaura. In front of them lies the Sphinx that is a huge cat like sculpture which is visited by millions every year. Cairo, Abu Simbel is two places that are crowded every year by visitors. There are many temples that have beautiful architectural work and representation of the historical past.
Apart from the pyramids and temples, taking a Felucca ride is a luxurious experience. One can opt for long cruises or just sunset sails on the Nile or on the rig that was built thousands of years ago. The Siwa Oasis situated on the Western Desert is the isolated oasis town that speaks their own language and makes exquisite crafts. If one loves diving or snorkeling then the Red Sea offers much for them. Hurghada offers more than 10 miles of beach, restaurants, and nightclubs for all budgets. One can enjoy as much as they like in the never ending Egyptian sands.
Seven Wonders of the Ancient World
The historian Herodotus (484 – ca. 425 BCE), and the scholar Callimachus of Cyrene (ca. 305 – 240 BCE) at the Museum of Alexandria, made early lists of seven wonders. The classic seven wonders included:
- Great Pyramid of Giza
- Hanging Gardens of Babylon
- Statue of Zeus at Olympia
- Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
- Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
- Colossus of Rhodes
- Lighthouse of Alexandria
The only ancient world wonder that still exists is the Great Pyramid of Giza.
Accomodation in Egypt, Giza, Egyptian Pyramids
There are plenty of comfortable accommodation options for visitors of Egypt starting from luxurious hotels, well maintained houses, economical cabins to hostels, guest houses and camping options. Keeping in mind the taste and preference of tourists, the accommodation providers have multiple options with multitude of customized tour packages that fits into every budget. Some places in Egypt are although expensive but then basic lodgings are available everywhere in Egyptian cities and towns for all.
Secrets of the Egyptian Pyramids